Thursday, August 5, 2010

These Are The Days Of Miracle And Wonder

I’m lying in a hammock on the front porch of Casa Del Ray listening to Paul Simon’s Rhythm of the Saints on Dan’s laptop, Dan is in his “spot” sitting in a “Tico” rocking chair, the rain gently falling through the palms and trees surrounding the house. We are in a groove here, sleeping late, waking up in the pool, drinking coffee and tea in the shade in rockers and hammocks or in the sun on lounge chairs by the pool, snacking, napping, reading and talking before heading out for our nights of music. Casa Del Ray has been an answer to my prayer for not only space, but peace and beauty as well. Lying here rocking gently in the soft woven, multi-hued hammock I find myself mesmerized by my surroundings- long palm ferns bend over me with the weight of the rain, stalks of bright fuchsia and burgundy leaves sprout from spindly wooden stems, wide green banana leaves act as a backdrop to more shades and shapes of green leaves, red flowers and a canopy of hardwoods towering above. Monkeys play here so do the orange squirrels with the bushy gray tails. Butterflies in all colors and perfectly formed hummingbirds flit about. Almost every morning a bird with the most amazing call I have ever heard wakes us, its single voice sounding like two distinct birds screaming in distress or competition- I have yet to see it. I look away from the jungle on my left to the right and see Dan, skin brown from the sun, dark eyes fixed on his computer. Paul Simon sings, “These are the days of miracles and wonder, don’t cry baby, don’t cry…” I have been crying the past few days thinking about the family of our friends Janet and Gordon, their youngest daughter Isabela, Bela, is in critical condition at a children’s hospital after a blood vessel burst in her brain Saturday from a birth defect that went undetected until now. Isabela is a miracle. She was born with heart problems that required surgery soon after her birth. She not only survived, she thrived and has become quite an amazing young woman with a feisty spirit, creative, sensitive mind and heart and with a unique energy and determination that she brings to everything she does whether it is making her trademark soaps and bath salts, playing the violin, working on a school project, or just hanging out with her family and friends. There is something special about this girl and for those of us who are lucky enough to know her, we know that to be true. I believe in miracles. How else can I explain this beauty that surrounds me right now, the love that I have in my life, my children, family, my life and breath? What else can we do but live in wonder and amazement amidst all of these gifts? Gordon wrote today thanking everyone for their prayers and asking for more prayers for these critical 48 hours. He said, “...Every second of life is a gift…” These are the days of miracles and wonder and I am holding the miracle of Bela in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment