Sunday, July 11, 2010

Anchor, Compass, Prayer Box, Owl

I wear a long chain around my neck that carries four charms; an anchor, a compass, a prayer box and an owl. The sturdy silver anchor was given to me by one of my best friends, Marian; she introduced me to the concept of “girlfriend jewelry” nearly fifteen years ago. Girlfriend jewelry is a piece of jewelry already owned and lovingly worn by the girlfriend giving it to you, or something new and selected with only you in mind-jewelry that when worn will impart the spirit of the giver, the powerful, loving “girlfriend” energy. I have rings, crystal charms, bracelets, earrings, each piece reminding me of the friend who gave them to me. This anchor was given to me at a time when I clearly needed one. I was living alone with our daughter Lucy in Carrboro, North Carolina. We had decided as a family that it would be better for Lucy to finish her last two years of high school away from the Outer Banks. I was away from my support network, my “nest”, my work and my husband was lost. The anchor became a symbol to me- reminding me that I could “drop anchor” wherever I was and be still. After a year, the same friend, seeing that I needed more than an anchor, gave me the compass. It’s a working miniature compass that shows me what direction I am headed and reminds me that there is help out there when you need it and if you need it ask for it. The compass was replaced soon after with a small thin rectangular, silver box that has two hinges, a clasp and is engraved with a simple cross. I write down prayers, thoughts and affirmations and place them inside and carry them with me wherever I go. Recently my husband Dan gave me the small owl, carved out of some sort of smooth black stone. Native Americans associated the meaning of owl with wisdom, foresight, and keeper of sacred knowledge. The owl has been a recurring symbol for Dan and I. The first owl was given to Dan from a wise and beautiful woman named Toby who was guiding us through a difficult journey. It’s a small and intricately carved wooden owl that lives on Dan’s nightstand and on mine when Dan is traveling. I know that the owl signifies wisdom, but it’s the collective wisdom- shared wisdom that interests me. Why should I think that I alone have the answers to my questions and should I dismiss a persons wisdom, even my own, when mistakes are made? In my 26 year relationship with my husband Dan I like to think that we have a “wisdom exchange”, each of us stepping in with our wisdom when the other’s is out of reach. I have heard the most profound wise statements coming from Dan as I have battled my self doubts about this trip, myself, and everything lately. He tells me, “I feel like you are digging in to yourself and I am glad you had a lazy day. I think you need many of those. I would use a different word beside lazy. Maybe rejuvenating day. Keep going inward my baby. I hope you will keep discovering the answers that you are looking for and that peace will surround you. Love you and I Love your journey.” Words from the wise! I’m so grateful for his presence in my life and I trust that when I am feeling separated from my wisdom-my strength -he is there, just as I’ve been there for him. But my trust in the collective wisdom goes far beyond my primary relationship. Wisdom is everywhere, in friends, family, collegues, strangers, animals, nature-everywhere. The wise old owl is a reminder that wisdom is all around me and it’s up to me to open my eyes, ears, heart and soul and take it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment