Monday, July 5, 2010

These Boots Are Made For Walking

I love wearing boots. Winter, spring, summer and fall, boots are always in season as far as I'm concerned. My two favorite pair are a 20 year old pair of black Tony Lamas I purchased at a western wear store somewhere in Florida after the birth of our daughter Lucy, and $4 vintage Dingos found at Hotline, our local thrift spot. I didn't think twice about taking them with me on this adventure. It's the rainy season here and with not a paved road in sight I couldn't imagine tramping throught the mud and puddles in my flip flops. Boots would do just fine and I think they look better when they are all muddy and scuffed-like a cowgirl just off the range. Since my budget does not include a car, quad, golf cart or any other means of motorized transportation folks use here and since the bike I am supposed to be using has mysteriously vanished, I'm walking everywhere. When you are walking it is so much easier to connect to where you are. It forces you to slow down and notice your surroundings-the sound of the waves crashing on rocks, the smell of roasting meats from an outdoor barbecue along the path, friendly greetings from people passing by. "Ola!" " Buenos Noches!". The birds, the trees...what an amazing world! The funny thing is, all of my soul searching questions are totally trumped by the more important ones. "Is that howler monkey in the tree above me going to attack?" "Any chance a snake will cross this jungle path I'm walking on alone?" "If someting did happen to me, how would I let someone know with no cell phone, walkie talkie, mega phone-nothing!?" "Did I remember to put my rain poncho in my back pack?" You get the picture. The life that is happening all around us right now needs our attenttion! You never know when a scorpion is going to crawl out of your coffee cup!

1 comment:

  1. Laura, this blog just might become a book someday. I didn't realize you are such a powerful writer. I imagined you in those hot boots humming a tune while facing the unknown.... xoxo :)

    ReplyDelete