Monday, July 12, 2010

It Feel Like My Heart Is In My Throat- Salty Tears, Sweat and Sea

Yesterday I left my shady haven like I always do around 2:30 in the afternoon to begin my trek to the Nosara Yoga Institute for my daily practice. Depending on my energy level and what time I wake up in the morning, I vacillate between the 10:30 am class and the 3:00 pm class. I glanced at the schedule before I left and noticed that it said Attunement Class- Lenore. Walking happily up the hill I said to myself, “I’m gonna get tuned up!” When I approached the pavilion I noticed four people sitting with their backs against the wall, a yoga mat folded in half beneath them, sitting on a pillow with another pillow supporting their backs. I slowly took a mat down from the rack, positioned myself along the wall next to the others and sat waiting. “Hmmm, I don’t think I’m doing yoga today” I thought. Lenore was walking around adjusting ceiling fan levels, readying the music and sizing up each one of us. She sat down on a mat directly in front of us and smiled. She was in her sixties. Lithe and tan, her short brown hair was cut into a perfect bowl around her cherubic face. She was wearing a turquoise tank top and a long flowing skirt and I could see the definition of her triceps muscles in her arms. She was beautiful and I admired her already. It turns out Attunement is a form of guided meditation developed by Lenore that uses music, very specific tones and frequencies of music, to align the chakras. The word chakra comes from an ancient Indian language known as Sanskrit, chakra meaning vortex, spinning wheel or circle. Chakras are the centre of spiritual power in the human body and are circles of energy which balance, store and distribute the energies of life all throughout our physical body as well as our subtle body, spirit or soul.
For the first half of the ninety minute class, Lenore went down the line one by one asking each of us about our experience with meditation and what we wanted to achieve today. Each of my fellow students spoke for maybe a minute or so, with Lenore looking at the speaker intently, then in the pause after each comment, Lenore would speak and her words would lead to a story and the story would take us on a journey. I soon found myself becoming light headed, and twice brought to tears. I’m not even sure what she was talking about but when it came to me to speak (I was the last in the line) I said that I felt like I was where I needed to be at exactly that moment, and I told her I was feeling light headed and somewhat teary. The young mother and aspiring Reiki practitioner beside me said- me too. Lenore put her hand on her heart and with tears in her eyes said, “I feel it too”. The meditation was very basic with Lenore guiding us to visualize a color for each chakra starting at the root chakra with the color red and moving up from there to the crown chakra and then back down. I was very relaxed and not really having much luck visualizing the colors-loud trucks on the road and planes in the sky made it hard to hear Lenore’s voice. But really, it didn’t seem to matter. All I know is that when we reached the throat charka I immediately felt a lump in my throat, a sensation I have been feeling for quite some time now and every time I feel it I feel an emotional response. And now since yesterday I have been crying on and off all day. My salty tears mixing with sweat and sea.

1 comment:

  1. I WISH i was there...experiencing, living the fullness, and digging deep into my life and coming out a whole person. All I can say is this is a perfect experience...pure is better maybe.
    Keep on your path.

    ReplyDelete