Friday, July 16, 2010

A Laugh and A Smile ( It´s a Jungle Out There)

I believe things here have shifted, taken a turn in some other new direction. The rythym of Wantana´s home is full of nurturing rituals, like meals every day for Juan and Louis, the Ticos that are working on her property, which invariably extend to me, coffee and tea in the morning on the wrap around porch and an end of the day dip in the pool and glass of wine, our ¨happy hour¨. This morning I was greeted me with clear blue skies and a bright sun- could this be the second day in a row with no rain? After a good phone conversation with Dan, an introductory session with my guitar, some tea and a mango, I dressed in my usual layers, bikini, yoga clothes and sunglasses and began my walk to the Nosara Yoga Institute. When the sun is shining everyone is outside walking to and from morning errands and to the beach. Everyone smiles and says ¨Hola!¨. Even the drivers of the trucks and cars navigating the washed out roads wave and beep. Rounding the corner approaching the business district where a smattering of businesses have sprouted where the road from the beach meets the main road through town, I did a mental inventory of where I wanted to hang the flyers I made advertising my gig on Friday. There was Cafe D´Paris, a new mini super, Coconut Harry´s, a few gift shops, a new ¨Zen¨ Cafe and even a tattoo parlor. Getting closer I spied one of the security guards that are posted all around Guiones due to recent thefts. This particular guard also stands watch at my beach and has decided that we are meant for each other. He points to himself and then to me, shakes his head and points to his eye and then to me, places his hand over his heart and rolls his eyes. It´s not as elaborate as the male bird of paradise mating dance, but it´s pretty close. It was when he invaded my personal space, a small beach blanket tucked under a scrubby bush on Guiones Beach, that I rose to protest. ¨Me Esposo!¨ I stated, pointing to my rings. He grinned at me and I could see that he was missing his front teeth. I smiled back, pointing to the sea- ¨Buena, Si?¨. This became a ritual for a few days until finally I just had to ignore him. This morning as I was passing by, he said something to me that I couldn´t understand, I just smiled and said,¨Buenas Dias!¨ and walked on. I´ve had several ¨strange encounters of the male kind¨ since I arrived here, my first full day here I ran into a local man who worked at the restaurant I sang at the night before. He spoke very good english and seemed kind and intelligent. I was happy to talk to someone. He asked me if I was married and I said yes and told him a little about Dan. After leaving the beach I decided to stop into the hotel next to where I was staying and take a swim in the pool. My new friend decided to join me and once in the pool he started to get uncomfortably close to me -under water. What part of ¨I´m married¨ did he not understand? The language barrier was not that wide here, but somehow I wasn´t communicating clearly. Nothing like a foot in the face followed by a big splash of water to get one´s message across. Very peculiar. I even had a young man who was walking on the road ahead of me, fully aware of my presence, stop and pee, right in front of me. When he was done he took up the pace beside me and when I turned left to go to the beach he looked at me and gestured for me to come with him. Hmm. I do have to say that the attention can be flattering, but some behaviors are just more flattering than others, for sure. So much Machismo. Thank god I am having a night out with the girls tonight. I need some female fun. Even so, the ¨close encounters¨ are a really good way to practice my spanish. For someone who takes communication very seriously, especially verbal communication, it´s kind of funny to see myself reduced to pantomime. I´m using my hands, making faces, acting things out- even if no one understands me, I´m providing a good laugh and I´m finding a laugh and a smile will get you everywhere!!

No comments:

Post a Comment