Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Savasana, Time to Feel and Recieve

Nestled high on a hill in the middle of a dense jungle sits a space open to the air, ocean breezes and jungle sounds. A yoga studio. You can find your way there through winding paths that meander through ancient trees, birds of paradise, ferns, hibiscus and every kind of palm you can imagine. Stairs that cut into the side of the hill lead you to this perch in paradise. The studio is part of the Nosara Yoga Institute, a teaching center that offers daily classes to visitors and residents and also certifies and trains aspiring yogis to become teachers. The rain began almost as soon as we began our practice and under the spirited guidance of "Gabby" it was languid and intentional with just enough exertion. The time came for final relaxation, corpse pose, Savasana. As we lay on our mats on our backs, eyes closed, breath slowing, Gabby said, "Savasana, time to feel and recieve". Time to feel and recieve. How do I do that? When I practive yoga the time for "feeling and recieving" is built right in at the end of every single session. But still, sometimes as I am lying there my mind is way ahead of me, thinking of future tasks, obsessive thoughts, random musings-chatter. What if I can't take a yoga class? How do I make the time? How do I feel and recieve when I am on my blackberry 24/7? Talking on the phone in the car, texting on the beach, in the store and even at dinner, checking my email how many times a day? When I arrived in Nosara, Costa Rica four days ago my fingers were twitching, looking for some buttons to press, my mind telling me I needed to talk to my husband Dan because after all, we call each other at least five times a day, in a panic because I hadn't had my cell phone to my ear in almost 24 hours.
Time to Feel and Recieve. I can feel the gradual disconnection from my need to be constantly connected to the outside world. I can feel that by taking this time to recieve I am making the space I seek. My undisciplined thoughts want to travel to the future, to the what ifs? The how cans? The when wills? I bring myself back and think of what Ahn, an Outer Banks Yogi, always says during our practice. "You make the space".

2 comments:

  1. beautiful Laura. Your words are inspirational and poignant to say the least. I wish you the best in your search for the inner peace you desire.

    ReplyDelete