Friday, July 30, 2010

Me Jane, You Tarzan

Yesterday I moved into my “final resting place” here in Nosara, Casa Del Ray. It is a fully equipped one bedroom efficiency beneath a large vacation rental home on a piece of lush jungle property overlooking the ocean. (By the way, it’s for sale) I have hot water, wi-fi, doors that close and even access to a washer and dryer. The infinity pool, Jacuzzi, outdoor kitchen and numerous outdoor showers are also available for me to use. There is a care taker on the premises daily in case I need anything and housekeeping service once a week. This is a far cry from my recent role as “Jane of the Jungle”. When I was a little girl my dad would gather all of his girls together on Friday night, there were five of us, to watch Johnny Weissmuller in “Tarzan”. My Dad an avid swimmer, ex boxer and totally fit man identified with Weissmuller who was a champion athlete and five time Olympic gold medalist before turning to acting and he enjoyed the jungle drama, feats of strength and power and subtle romance between Tarzan and Jane, just as much if not more than we young girls did. I loved it. I imagined what it would be like to live with Tarzan in the trees and I romanticized about the “wildness” of it all, swinging from the tree tops on vines to perfectly appointed platform tree houses, bathing in waterfalls, Tarzan’s body. The night would always end with my dad, demonstrating his strength to his five girls waiting in anticipation for him to carry us all at once, up the stairs and to bed, all of us laughing and hanging on to anything we could for dear life. For now, I’ll leave the swinging on the vines to the Howler Monkeys here and trade the waterfall for a hot shower, grateful that I finally have a place to rest my head that has four walls, a roof and no need for mosquito netting. And Tarzan? He’ll be flying in on Saturday from playing two concerts in West Palm Beach tonight and tomorrow.

2 comments: