Friday, July 9, 2010

It's You vs. You

Whenever I find myself doing battle with “outside circumstances”, things that I tell myself are out of my control and I can’t help, I practice a little trick I learned somewhere I like to call, “Change Your Story”. My husband's parents came to visit over Easter, they have a home on the Outer Banks of North Carolina that they live in all summer with family and then they visit in the off season, spring and fall, by themselves. Dan and I were leaving the day after they arrived so we planned to go out for dinner and catch up. As we were driving in the car to go to dinner, mom asked me, “Laura, how’s your job?” Without a beat or a breath I immediately went into a story about how much I was working, how stressed out I was and how I didn’t have any time for myself. After unburdening myself of this list my mother-in –law may have made a sound of acknowledgement or short comment- I don’t remember. What I do remember is that I shut the conversation down completely. It bothered me for days when I thought about all the other true things I could’ve said that were wonderful about my job-how we’ve trained artists to work with hospice patients, how we are getting ready to move into an historic landmark that has been vacant for 6 years, how there is so much creativity in our small community-but I chose to complain. Had I told any of the other stories I’m sure it would have invited an enthusiastic response from my mother, more questions that would possibly lead to more stories, hers and mine. There would be room for opening not closing. Why do I do that? It’s easy to fall into the martyr role, to look at life’s circumstance s and say, “Why Me?” “Oh, poor Laura, she works so hard” Those kind of statements will get you attention, but not necessarily the attention you need. It’s actually easier than saying, “Wait a minute. There is another way to tell this story.” When I change the story a whole new world of possibilities opens up for me. I’m no longer fighting outside circumstances that really do not have anything to do with me, my being, my soul- who I am. I can then see I am fighting myself, and it’s a constant battle for balance, for the quieting of that voice inside of me that tells me- “your not, you should, you don’t”. My gloves are up, my right hook mean. It’s Me vs. Me and I’m going the distance.

3 comments:

  1. this just made my hair stand on end, and you know what that means:*awesome*.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great insight - since we are spirit beings - Laura IS a spirit- HAS a soul( mind, will and emotions)and lives in a body....we will always have that battle ground between the spirit man and the soul. Our spirit man was hard wired directly to our creator before sin- the soul is connected more to our flesh –hence the battle.
    As for our circumstances, trials etc one of our greatest temptations is to cling in anger to what has come against us, and then define ourselves from the burden of being wounded by these circumstances. This is dangerous and we can end up carrying this stuff subconsciously as emotional scars that eventually can manifest as in our bodies as a physical sign.
    There are a lot of good people going through some seemingly unfair trials these days. Many feel abandoned by God, if they will do like Laura and not complain but walk through these trials they will find that just as Solomon said “the end of a thing is always better than the beginning.”
    Having walked through a few trials I know that refusing to complain in the midst is one of the straightest paths to the finish line.
    When a silversmith refines his pot of silver he heats it up many times(trials) then skims all the impurities each time until he can see himself. These trials are preparing us of for the next round of battle, the next patient, next mission trip, next outreach project, business deal or whatever Gods plan is for your life.


    21As the refining pot for silver and the furnace for gold [bring forth all the impurities of the metal], so let a man be in his trial of praise [ridding himself of all that is base or insincere; for a man is judged by what he praises and of what he boasts].
    Proverbs 27:21 ~

    ReplyDelete
  3. With everything I have been reading or have read over the years...that is the message. With the Buddist teachings I have been studying and the meditations I am learning...it is about compassion and giving. You get it...compassion for ourselves at times like this is unmeasurable for our soul! I love you and am so proud of what you are doing and your writing...you are a Warrior. Many blessings, with you in peace my dear long time friend. xoxo

    ReplyDelete