Tuesday, July 20, 2010

The Signs Along The Way

Last night while I was sitting on the porch having “happy hour” I realized that I wasn’t feeling too happy. I noticed an uncomfortable feeling coming over me and as I listened to Wantana talk I realized that I was not even close to being present. I was thinking that I hadn’t even begun writing yet today, I was thinking that I hadn’t picked up the guitar now in two days, and I had a goal to sit in on my friends gig Thursday and play and sing a song, I was thinking that my “space” was starting to feel smaller when I was “home”. I was beginning to realize that perhaps this is not where I should be. I am so grateful that Wantana took me in after being flooded out of my initial place of residence, but I didn’t really have a choice about coming here, it all happened so fast. I woke up late this morning and came down out of my perch to have tea and wake up. When Wantana came up with fruit and sat down, my discomfort returned so I excused myself and within ten minutes I quickly dressed for yoga and was headed out the door. On my walk to the Institute I thought about my needs- my need for quiet, my need for privacy, my need to flow through the rhythm of my day in my own way without having to consider anyone else right now. This is hard for me. I’ve never had this much time for myself before and I struggle with the feelings that this is self-indulgent, that I need to be doing something productive, something tangible. I also feel a little uncomfortable with all this time, a little antsy. I tried to quiet my mind during yoga practice and finally got into a groove, letting go, letting my mind wander, breathing, looking at the jungle and the coming rain. I thought about coming home. Come August I will have been here a whole month, surely that is enough time. I thought of all the things I could do at home, visit my grandmother, ride my bike to Ocracoke. I stopped myself. I feel pretty strong about my commitment to being here, the commitment I made to myself-for myself. I thought maybe this is a “hump” in the middle of the road, a transitional period. I need to be patient, follow my instincts and keep moving forward. So, what I absolutely do know for certain is I need a new home, my own place, with my own kitchen within walking distance to everything. This afternoon after walking around town and visiting friends and talking to people, I have several good options. I am not looking forward to breaking that news. It’s interesting because had I been a better Girl Scout before I arrived here, I would’ve taken stock of my needs, real and anticipated and used them as a basis for communicating to people managing and renting property. I was careless and so here I am week three, not entirely settled. Why is it so hard to say, “I need”? Actually, it has been getting easier for me to say, “I need”. Dan and I have been putting a lot of effort into our relationship and being able to communicate our needs to each other without fear has been one of the most important lessons learned. For me it’s about taking the time to really think about what I need- to feel, to feel deeply- what my needs are. My life is usually sailing by at such a fast pace that for me for the most part I don’t have a clue what I need on a daily basis. But I am working on it and learning to honor myself, consider my needs important, not just for my sake but for the sake of all of my relationships. I’m learning to be flexible and to make adjustments when needed-learning to follow the signs along the way.

2 comments:

  1. I love this one so much! I think our lives consist of setting or crossing, respecting or ignoring boundaries all of which either stem from fears and doubts or love and trust. Why is it so hard? Maybe because we can't stay in the good spot. I guess we can't even experience the good spot until we have been in the bad ones... I was offered an opportunity to make this list once of what I wanted in a relationship~and share it. Later I shared it again with someone I trust. Then I realized in order to realize all the things I wanted I first had to experience the lack thereof. The space between, if you will. Or in spirit of my impromptu trip to Va. Beach to see DMB (like so many obxers-and I know you were there in spirit, Laura!) As Dave sings "It's funny How Things Are! But that's the ever changing world we live in! See a songbird MUST sing, my darling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, I'm whispering this message to you with the hope that I dare not disturb your experience or flavor it in any way except to let you know that I am mesmerized by your writings. I am awed by the aura and the purity of the telling and saying anything more risks flavoring the next posting which I look forward to as a child to a bedtime story, or in your case, a lullaby.

    ReplyDelete