Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Appreciation and Empowerment

Last night before my singing gig at the Gilded Iguana I went to the Harmony Hotel to meet Elaine, the young school teacher from California, to walk with her to the Iguana. The Harmony Hotel is a beautifully renovated hotel right in the middle of Guiones Beach that looks and feels like it could be in the heart of South Beach, Miami. The single story hotel, cabinas, pool and all of the other out buildings are all nestled in lush, private gardens and trees. Tranquillo. The open air bar and restaurant is furnished with modern interpretations of Costa Rican furniture, comfy lounge and rocking chairs, long rattan couches with loads of pillows. I like to go there for a mojito or a glass of wine, take advantage of the free wi-fi and relaxing environment. While I was waiting for Elaine I ran into Lalane and her twin boys. They come back and forth between their home in the U.S. and Nosara as much as they can, last year spending the entire year here with the kids going to local schools and becoming fluent in Spanish. They were not happy about leaving. We chatted a bit and I told her how I was feeling like I was trying to get over a “hump”, transitioning from visiting here to really feeling like I am here. Lalane said, “There is a transition period of difficulties when you first get here-and then when you get over it- you become empowered here. This place empowers you. You can become another person.” This morning it was sunny with bright white clouds traveling on the breeze through crystal blue skies. I debated whether or not I should go to yoga or hit the beach to take advantage of the sunshine-my feet propelled me towards the Institute, while my mind said, “Even if you don’t feel like going, go- it’s good for you”. Arriving early I settled down on two meditation cushions and wrote in my journal. Soon Francella arrived, one of my new friends and yoga instructor. She is one of the most beautiful women I have ever met, inside and out. When it became apparent that we were going to be the only ones practicing today- a first since I arrived here-Francella said, “We will do Prannassage” and started laying down yoga mats into a big square in two layers laying my sarong on top and asking me to lie on my back. Prannassage is a creative synthesis of yoga and bodywork that increases the flow of prana or life force in the body and produces deep states of relaxation. The receiver's body is physically moved into a flow of poses that allow each position to be felt from the inside out. With my eyes closed Francella used her entire body to stretch out mine. I couldn’t tell the difference between her hands and feet and at one point I curled into a ball and rocked back into her arms and found myself completely lifted off the ground and cradled in her body. The sensation was so unique- when was the last time someone held my entire body while I relaxed, breathed and surrendered? The session ended with a chakra meditation. “This was meant to be” Francella said. We talked for a short while and I told her about Lalane’s comments and asked her if she thought Nosara was an “empowering place”. Francella said she has grown and changed so much since moving to Nosara, she talked about the people, all the yogis, nature lovers, surfers, but the number one reason she feels that Nosara is an empowering place is appreciation. She told me that in all the places she’s ever lived she has never felt more appreciated than she does here and that in turn has empowered her, enabled her to become a bi-lingual yogi, a massage/Prannassage therapist and future Pilates instructor. The appreciation from others who live here in Nosara has empowered her to say, “Yes, I can do this”. I know what she means. Not long after I arrived here someone said to me, “we are so blessed to have you here”. That brings tears to my eyes. It is such a simple statement that we all could make everyday to all of the people we interact with at work, in our families and community. What if we took a time out in our day and looked at the people around us and appreciated them for whatever they were doing? And not just appreciation for accomplishments, but for our efforts and ideas even if they never come to fruition. What a simple concept; appreciation as a means to empowerment. Yes, perhaps Nosara is a special place, a place of empowerment, but I bet my home town community can be too.

1 comment: