Thursday, July 8, 2010

The House That Dominatrix Built

The cabina I am staying in is on a piece of property in Guinness Beach, Nosara called The Enchanted Forest. Owned by a woman named Brenda and purchased 10 years ago, this small piece of pristine jungle has been gently habitated by Brenda and her 3 dogs- gradual additions of small rustic cabinas as money came in from whatever creative source Brenda could muster-a woman alone in a small remote village in a third world country Although access to Nosara has become easier over the years with the addition of the Liberia Airport 2 1/2 hours away, once you get past a certain point you are catapulted onto a rocky, unpaved, precarious, potholed road-and I use that term loosely. I've been coming here for 5 maybe 6 years and I've seen some minor changes-progress, but I came as a tourist seeking family fun in the comfort of air-conditioned, well equipped vacation rentals. When Brenda arrived the journey was much longer, the closest airport in San Jose was 5 hours away and 10 years ago there was not too much development, not too much to do, a small community of pioneers making their way in the tropical jungle retired or catering to the tourists who stumbled upon this piece of paradise in search of surf, fish, relaxation and adventure. When I think of Brenda I think of adventure. This morning over tea and yerba matte she rattled off a list of her past professions; hazardous chemical tank cleaner, underwater diver to recover dead bodies, autopsy assistant, caregiver and professional boxer. That's how I know her, Brenda the Boxer. Tiger Boxer is her fighting name because she has tiger stripes tattooed down the length of both sides of her entire lean body. She had an illustrious career, fighting in Vegas, traveling the world competing against all of the best women boxers in her time. She was second in the world for her weight, 115lbs. When you enter the Enchanted Forest it's hard to see what exactly exists in there because hardly any of the jungle has been touched in order for Brenda to make her home there. Everything kind of blends in to the flora and fauna and all of the unique structures seem right at home. Hand painted signs inform visitors to the Enchanted Forest- Bano, Healing Massage and yes- Boxing Ring. Brenda has a full sized boxing ring in the middle of her jungle oasis complete with stadium seating. There is a collection of every sized boxing glove, jump ropes, weights and anything else you would need to train for a match or a life in the jungle. In order to survive in the jungle one must be very creative and resourceful and it appears that Brenda has done just that. While sipping my tea she tells me about the people she's trained, the boxing matches she has put on for the community with local youth trained by her, the fun fundraisers featuring women vs. women matches, the characters from all over the world who find thier way to the Enchanted Forest and how each cabina came into existence as small amounts of money came in. It turns out that a man from Nosara could only cry if he was "dominated" by a woman. Seeing a need and a potential cash flow, with the help of a riding crop she helped the man cry. I really didn't want to press for details. There are some things you just don't want to know, and after all it was morning and I was drinking tea. (This may come up later at night over rum) What I do know is that my sweet little cabina was built on the tears of a very repressed and unusual man. I can only look at it now as the house that dominatrix built.

1 comment:

  1. Great writing, Laura. I admire Brenda, I feel so empowered when I put on my boxing gloves and spar with my trainer or the bag at Knuckle Up in Kitty Hawk; although I can't imagine actually hitting someone on purpose.

    ReplyDelete