Monday, July 26, 2010

Indecision 2010

I woke up yesterday to rain. Feeling a little groggy from my late night Saturday, I moved slowly through my morning routine. As I was looking around I noticed that my flip-flops were missing. This might not seem like a big deal, but they are my only pair and there is no way to replace them here due to the size of my feet-11. I realized I must have left them at La Luna where I was singing the night before. I also realized that if I wanted to retrieve them I would have to go soon because I could only get there during low tide. Having only boots as my other footwear option, I donned my Dingos and hit the trail. Walking to La Luna is always an adventure. By road it is about three miles, but the beach and jungle path will get you there in 20 minutes. I attracted some funny looks, walking the beach in my boots without a horse, I just smiled, “Buena Dias!” At the very north end of the beach is a rocky point. The jungle spreads out to meet the sand and the shoreline is nothing but scraggy roots, piles of weathered wood and sand. At low tide you can climb all around the rocks and apparently the fishing is really good there. During high tide the rocks are completely covered with the water right up to the edge of the jungle. I approached the end of the beach as the tide was beginning to rise, but had plenty of time. I did have to leap over a small river and splashed down in ankle deep water. It really didn’t matter because the rain was coming down harder and I was pretty wet. The path does not reveal itself and if you don’t know where to go, it’s really hard to find. I saw a runner ahead of me jump the river and disappear into the trees. I fixed my eyes on where he entered and headed that way. Aha, I know this way, it’s definitely shorter than the path I had been taking which took me all around the Hotel De Nosara, the abandoned Middle Eastern style castle perched on the top of the point. This path goes right in front of the hotel and leaves you on the dirt road to “Downtown Pelada”. La Luna is a stones throw from the end of the path and I arrived to see two tables overlooking the sea, both seated with friends of mine looking like they were fresh out of the surf and enjoying what appeared to be frozen tropical fruit drinks while watching the rain come down. Gerardo, La Luna’s manager held out my flip flops, thank the lord, and gave me a bottle of water. I visited with my friends and then not wanting to get caught in too much high water, decided to walk the road home. Pelada is adjacent to Guiones and apparently has some pretty good property deals. There is a market-Pancho’s, a coffee house with internet, Olga’s right on the beach that serves tipico food where you can sit and watch the fishing boats come in and a few other businesses. It’s pretty rustic and if you don’t need much and don’t mind being away from most of the “action” Pelada is a good place to finds deals. Soaking wet by this point I trudged through the little business district saying, ”hola” to locals with their arms full of groceries, huddled under umbrellas, just off the bus from town. On the main road it wasn’t long before Bill my guitarist pulled up coincidentally, I jumped in and headed home. The rain kept getting heavier and heavier with lightning and thunder joining in. I noticed my mood getting heavier as well and decided a nap was in order. Hours later, I had a hard time getting out of my comfy nest under the netting with the storm still raging outside, but I had to sing tonight, even though I knew with the rain we may be cancelled. Wearing my flip flops I splashed trough puddles and mud to arrive at Casa Tucan only to find that we were indeed rained out. Waking this morning to more rain, my mood still heavy, I went to a Pilate’s class, my first and tried to enjoy the hour of torture- It was hard. Alli is the local instructor here who has converted much of the yogi community to Pilates and by look of some of the bodies I’m seeing around here, I might have to give it a try. Afterwards I walked around lost in my thoughts, the U2 song, I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For, playing in my mind and I decided I was going to try to change my ticket and come home. Unfortunately, or fortunately I can’t. There is no flexibility with my ticket since I booked it with frequent flyer miles and the next available flight anyway is August 11th. Okay, plan A it is and with nothing else to do, the rain ending, I grabbed a board from Luigi and went surfing. I talked to my son briefly tonight; He had overheard some of the conversation between Dan and I and told me he always experienced a period of being uncomfortable on his travels-he’s traveled extensively in Italy and New Zealand and is quite an adventurer-“It’s good sign”, like Lenore, Josh said, “Things are happening”. Yes, things are happening. No more indecision for me. It’s out of my hands.

2 comments:

  1. can't wait for more happyings ....rock on girlfreind.........I feel like I'm walking in Nosora.........

    ReplyDelete